Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Happy 2012!

We went to my parent's cabin for the weekend. Jon has never been up there, and Jolynn and I haven't since Memorial weekend. My mom warned me that there was 3 inches of snow up there and that the cabin would take about 2 hours to warm up. Pishaw I said! 3 inches is probably 1 1/2 by now, and the cabin will not be that cold because it hasn't been that cold here. Um, no. There really was 3 inches and I forgot mine and Jon's boots. The cabin wasn't too bad. It warmed up pretty quickly and then STAYED warm. On Sunday it was a whopping 85 degrees inside. We may have stoked the fire a little too much.




The weather was really nice. My mom and I took turns pulling Jolynn in her sled that my parents made. It had another coat of lacquer on it, so it was ready for the wet snow. Jolynn is much bigger than the last time she was in it and can now hold on to the side rails. We weren't going too crazy so she didn't have to buckle up.

My parents just recently had electricity installed. They had gas everything before (stove, oven, fridge, lights). We pretty much only used the stove and oven. Since light was by candle or lantern, bedtime was usually as soon as the sun went down. Things are a little different when you have electricity. It is still a "cabin", so there is no TV and cell service is minimal. It is great for playing games and reading however. Since they now have electricity they also installed a new fridge. This weekend was the first weekend for turning it on. Apparently the temp gauge was not working properly (fridge worked fine) or my mom got some bad meat from Cub. We were supposed to have ribs for New Year's Eve dinner. When I cut open the package the meat smelled really rancid. We ended up going down to Jack's Shack (great bar/restaurant) and ordering dinner to go.

It was a great weekend. I hope we can go back again, maybe when there is a little more snow.

1 comment: